Red Rice: The healthy rice alternative that you have been looking for
Are you on a healthy lifestyle spree? But, is an ardent rice lover?
We have an alternative for you in Himalayan Red Rice.
Himalayan Red Rice is a healthy rice alternative predominantly found in South Asia; yes, India offers natural healthy rice alternatives without luring over the west.
What is Red Rice?
Red Rice is small-medium grain rice grown in the South Asia region. It is rich in antioxidants like flavonoids and anthocyanins apigenin, which is why it's deep pigmented red colour. In addition, research has clearly shown that red rice is rich in fiber content, and its rich nutrient tally makes it capable of fighting more free radicals. In terms of taste, red rice has a nutty, earthy flavor.
Is red rice healthier than brown and red rice?
Red rice is known to have 10 times more antioxidants than brown rice (source Brown rice v/s red rice: Which is better? (femina.in))
Not only antioxidants, but the nutrient chart of red rice is far superior to brown and white rice, particularly in terms of its antioxidant contents. Red rice has an abundance of fiber content, making it easily digestible. In addition, the antioxidants number counts to Myricetin, quercetin, and anthocyanins apigenin which gives them the benefit of fighting free radicals in much higher numbers than white and even brown rice.
Red Rice is rich in fiber, making it a perfect choice for weight watchers and people having trouble with digestion or metabolism.
Health Benefits of Red Rice
The richness of antioxidants in red rice brings out the pigmented red colour. This antioxidant is a primary health-promoting compound that helps regulate blood pressure. Preventing people with diabetes is also known to reduce cancer cells.
- Low Glycaemic Index: Rice is often on the ‘Avoid’ list for diabetic patients, but red rice is naturally low in the glycaemic index, making it perfect for the diabetic-friendly menu.
- Asthma Friendly Diet: Red Rice is rich in magnesium which helps improve breathing patterns with its quality to absorb more oxygen into the body.
- Bone Strength: Red Rice is a good source of calcium and magnesium, making it a healthy source of bone strength. Adding red rice to your menu can help prevent arthritis, osteoporosis, and other bone-related conditions.
- Helps Digestion: Normally, white rice is associated with food items that promote constipation. However, that is not the case with red rice. It contains both soluble and insoluble fiber that helps boost digestion.
- Low Cholesterol: Unlike white rice, red rice is made of whole grains that are low in cholesterol and can help cardiac patients. If you can suffer heart surgery or any cardiac conditions in the past, you should switch from white to red rice.
Healthy Red Rice Recipes / Regular Red Rice Recipe:
Take red rice, wash it well, and drain all the water.
Combine it with ½ cup of water for cooking it in the pressure cooker.
Let it cook until six whistles.
Take the cooker lid off to take away the steam and serve it hot.
Thai Stir Fry Red Rice Recipe Ingredients
- Kaffir lime leaves
- Bell peppers
Boil 4 cups of water and add lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves
- Add washed red rice to boiling water and let it boil again with rice.
- Drain excess water once the rice is cooked; pick lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves while draining the water.
- Dry out the cooked rice in a long tray
- Add galangal, garlic, and chili to the pan in oil, and cook it on high flame.
- Add onions and cook them until golden brown.
- Add grated carrots, bell peppers, and boiled peas to the pan and add soy sauce to this mixture.
- You can add salt to this mix now and let it cook on high flame for 5 mins till it becomes crisp.
- Add cooked red rice and stir fry till all the mixture is cooked well.
- You can add egg to this recipe if not cooking for a vegan plate.
Red Rice is a much healthier option with plenty of health benefits served with a delicious taste. Most importantly, this red rice is part of the South Asia and Indian region, which is well-suited for your gut health. So don’t starve yourself from rice and order red rice now!